About this Course
Get hands-on instruction and practice configuring and implementing new features and functionality in Windows Server 2012, including Windows Server 2012 R2, in this five-day Microsoft Official Course.
This course is designed for IT professionals who want to upgrade their technical skills from Windows Server 2008 to Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 R2. It presumes a high level of knowledge about previous Windows Server technologies and skills equivalent to MCSA: Windows Server 2008 credential.
The course covers the new features and functionality in Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 R2, including management, network infrastructure, storage, access control, virtualization, high availability, and identity federation.
Specific technologies covered include Windows PowerShell, Storage Spaces and Internet Small Computer System interface (iSCSI), Active Directory, Hyper-V, implementation of Remote Access solutions such as DirectAccess, VPNs, and Web Application Proxy (WAP).
The course also covers Failover Clustering, Federation Services as well as access and information provisioning and protection technologies such as Dynamic Access Control, and Web Application Proxy integration with Federation Services and Workplace Join.
This course is not a product upgrade course, detailing considerations for migrating and upgrading your specific environment to Windows Server 2012. Rather, this course will update your existing Windows Server 2008 knowledge and skills to Windows Server 2012, including Windows Server 2012 R2.
This course maps directly to and is the preferred choice for hands-on preparation for Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA): Exam 417: Upgrading Your Skills to MCSA Windows Server 2012, which is the upgrade exam for individuals who hold an MCSA: Windows Server 2008 certification.
Labs in this course are based on Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows 8.1.
This course is intended for Information Technology (IT) Professionals who are experienced Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2 system administrators who are familiar with carrying out day to day Windows Server management and maintenance tasks. The course will update their skill to Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 R2. Candidates suitable for this course would be:
- Experienced Windows Server Administrators who have real world experience working in a Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2 enterprise environment.
- IT professionals who have obtained the credential MCSA: Windows Server 2008 or have equivalent knowledge.
- IT Professionals wanting to take the Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE) exams in Data Center, Desktop Infrastructure, Messaging, Collaboration and Communication will also be interested in taking this course as they prepare for the Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA) Windows Server 2012 credential, which is a pre-requisite for their individual specialities.
At Course Completion
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Install and configure Windows Server 2012.
- Manage Windows Server 2012 by using Windows PowerShell.
- Manage storage in Windows Server 2012.
- Implement network services.
- Implement Remote Access.
- Implement Failover Clustering.
- Implement Hyper-V.
- Implement Failover Clustering with Hyper-V.
- Implementing secure data access for users and devices.
- Implement Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS).
- Implement Active Directory Federation Services (AD FS).
- Monitor and maintain Windows Server 2012.
Before attending this course, students must have:
- Experience with day-to-day Windows Server 2008 or Widows Server 2008 R2 system administration, management and maintenance tasks in an Enterprise environment
- Obtained the credential Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA): Windows Server 2008 or have equivalent knowledge
Note: It is possible to take this course without having the MCSA: Windows Server 2008 credential once the criteria of equivalent knowledge is met. However, the subsequent taking and passing of the 70-417 upgrade exam will not provide the exam taker with the MCSA: Windows Server 2012 credential. This credential upgrade path is exclusively for holders of the MCSA: Windows Server 2008 credential